Isleville Engine House, U.E.C.

Commissioned: 1883

Decommissioned: 1917

Associated companies: Halifax Fire Department , Union Engine Company

1883 – As Halifax sprawled to the North along the peninsula the need for even more fire protection became necessary. Hose Station No 4 was built on Gottingen in the Islesville area, on the South corner of Almon. Housing Hose Cart No 4, “Resolute” along with a spare hose cart and a supply of hose, the Islesville station served the north end for many years until the fateful morning of December 6th, 1917, when Hoseman John Duggan mounted the station hose cart and headed for Pier 6 where a ship fire had been reported. The resulting fire and catastrophic explosion not only took the life of Duggan, who’s body was never recovered, but damaged the Islesville station beyond absolute repair. At the time of the explosion this station also housed the reserve steam engine, “Devonshire”. Eventually, in April of 1919, it was recommended by Board of Control that the engine house be sold.

 

The Second Isleville Engine House (1883–1917)

  • On November 1, 1882, the Board of City Works submitted a report proposing the construction of a new engine house in the Isleville Division of the city.

  • By February 14, 1883, the Board had reviewed plans from the city architect and estimated costs, which were approved by the Firewards and submitted to the City Council.

  • This engine house was located at 376 Gottingen Street, not on Isleville Street itself, but within the Isleville Division.

  • On August 30, 1883, the Board of Firewards determined that No. 4 Division of the Union Engine Company would occupy the new premises​.

This firehouse played a critical role in the North End of Halifax during its time of operation, covering an area that saw significant urban growth and fire-related incidents. It remained in service until 1917 when it was damaged beyond repair in the Halifax Explosion.

Have more information?